Monday, November 21, 2011

Bratya & Syostri

I'm not sure why Jerome's alarm goes off at 4:45 a.m., but at least it was helpful today.  (I can't say that I was as happy about it yesterday…)  Anyway, you can thank him for getting this post so early this morning!


Alright, Bratya & Syostri,
Let's get started! I had a great week! We went on exchanges with the Elders in Novokuybyshevsk this week! They're doing really well. They like finding entire families to baptize. Turns out they just moved apartments and are now living in the apartment of a recently-deceased 80-something-year-old schoolteacher. He left SO MUCH cool stuff in his house and the landlord pretty much said "you can do whatever you want with this stuff." Among the awesome finds: A copy of Anna Karanina in Russian; printed in 1965, with a note written in the front cover "Given to Mr. Whatever his name is from the 5th class as we celebrate the day of our Soviet Army's victory - February 23, 1965" The same day I came into the MTC. Lindsey Webb is SO STINKING JEALOUS right now. Of course, I left it there because I want to double check with the landlord that all this stuff really doesn't belong to everyone before I just start taking stuff. But I'm feeling like I will be the owner of this book before too long. Also: a big old jar of random old assorted Soviet Union coins. Everything from the 1 and 3 kopeck coins (worth 1/1000th, and 1/3000th of a dollar, respectively) to the 50 ruble coin, which is worth like $2.00. Hopefully I can add a few of those to my coin collection as well. Anyway. Enough about me wanting to loot an old dead man's house. 
E* got baptized! She was baptized on Saturday! It was wonderful that she was baptized, but there was some confusion as to who was supposed to turn on the water for the font that takes a minimum of 4 hours to fill, and at what time. So basically V*, our cool new convert who got baptized in August (and baptized E* two days ago) had to baptize her in like 18 inches of relatively cold water. It took three tries. Ooooh. 
The same day E* got baptized, there was a Nigerian man who's here in Samara studying who got baptized in Avrora. His name is T*. I met him yesterday as I was translating for his interview with a branch president so he could get his ecclesiastical endorsement to go to BYU Hawaii. He's been in Russia for 3 weeks and speaks pretty much no Russian, but excellent English. Anyway, he of course, passed the interview with flying colors, and said the prayer at the end.  It was the most amazing prayer ever. He thanked God for leading him to the land of Samara, Russia, so that he could find the LDS church and be baptized. The way everything worked out with his schooling (he wasn't able to get into any classes that were available in a language he speaks), it's quite obvious that the only real reason the Lord led him here was to find the church. SO cool. He's so excited to get the Priesthood and study at BYU. He looks kind of like LeVar Burton, BTW. Extra bonus.
Yesterday after church, I had 15 minutes or so to talk to President Haran, the district President of the Samara District (hopefully the Samara Stake before too many years). It's the first time I've ever met him, although I've heard about him for quite a while. He's just an absolutely amazing man. He's learning English and speaks really quite well. He has such an awesome testimony. He said that there are certain missionaries that he just immediately recognizes as his "brothers" as he puts it. That is, brothers in the tribe of Ephraim. Apparently I'm one of them. We have a lot in common; he's also really into music and sings as a tenor, among other things. We talked for a while, and then he just came out and said "I believe that we were friends in the pre-mortal life. I'm glad to see you again. You're my brother, and I love you." And then he gave me a big hug. I felt the Spirit SO strong. That is such a cool miracle for me that God sent me here knowing I would get to meet (or really, re-connect with) this awesome man. Just another testament that I am supposed to be here. And that means the apostles really are inspired. And that means the church is true. That's what I love about this church. Everywhere you turn is more evidence that it's true.
Let's talk for a second about how all the Zone Leaders and the Assistants were given Bluetooth headsets. When I wear mine, I increase both my efficiency on the phone and my desire to punch myself in the face by approximately 200%. Luckily, we're only allowed to wear them inside. The streets in Russia area dangerous enough without looking like a complete nerd.
Well. I'm out of time again. I love you all! You're the best!
Love,
Elder Broekhuijsen

No comments: